Friday, November 15, 2013

[Lolita Blog Carnival] Book Inspired Coordinations



I adore and am obsessed with literature-inspired prints in Lolita fashion, so this theme is definitely right up my alley! I took this challenge to mean making outfits out of items that I have in my own wardrobe, rather than creating a collage with various Lolita items that I may not necessarily own. Of course that limits things a bit more, but I felt like it was actually a really inspiring exercise to go through and see what I could do with my existing wardrobe!

#1 ~ Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (and Through the Looking Glass) by Lewis Carroll

This book has been commonly associated with Lolita fashion for as long as I've been in it, to the point where some people seem to dislike it just because they think it's trite. That said, these two books have always been among my favorites. I adore the clever wordplays, and various other cute references to things like chess. Plus, who doesn't enjoy a crazy fantastical dream every now and then? I think for many, the mental visuals associated with Alice in Wonderland have been heavily influenced by the Disney animation, and I cannot claim to be any different. Thus, my outfit follows the color scheme of the Disney Alice, with a blue dress, white pinafore, and black shoes. However, I made it a bit more elaborate with a definitely Lolita headbow, and blue floral detailing on the socks. I realize my "pinafore" is actually just a JSK (this would probably not be the most comfortable to actually wear), and I really do wish I had an actual tablier, but since I don't, I made do with what I had.




OP: Baby the Stars Shine Bright
JSK: Taobao
Headbow: millenaire on LJ
Socks: Innocent World
Shoes: Secret Shop


#2 ~ The Red Shoes by Hans Christian Andersen

The first time I read this fairytale was actually in a Chinese compilation of tales for kids. I wouldn't say it's one of my favorite fairytales, but it definitely made a lasting impression. Really, how could it not with all the cutting off her feet and stuff... >_> I actually haven't thought about this story in quite a long time, until I was sitting in front of my closet trying to figure out book-related outfits. Then I saw my red Teaparty style shoes that I rarely wear because they're just so flashy, and remembered the story about wearing flashy red shoes in inappropriate settings. For those of you who haven't read this fairytale, you should (and it's short so it won't take long) because it's quite interesting. It's of course kind of dark, but then again it seems most fairytales of this genre/era are.




OP: Innocent World
Rose clip: Papillon de Nuit (handmade by me)
Socks: Innocent World
Shoes: Antaina


#3 ~ Harry Potter (and the ____) by J.K. Rowling

I just couldn't resist. I was a bit older than the target audience progression of these books, but I still devoured them as they came out and got really invested in the story and universe. There's just something very appealing about the idea of a world where people can do magic, but where magic itself can be both destructive and constructive and is in fact not a substitute for good old problem-solving, friendship, and determination. In many children's stories, magic almost seems to be used as some sort of cure-all or superhuman power, but I think what I liked was that all these wizards were actually all just as human as myself, just with a set of skills that didn't exist for me.

Reading the books, I always fancied myself a Ravenclaw, since I am extremely bookish, and love reading stuff, learning stuff, solving clever puzzles, etc. However, I always got sorted into Hufflepuff, no matter what quiz I took, and when I got sorted into Hufflepuff again on Pottermore, it sort of sparked a self-analysis that I won't go into here. The result was that I came to terms terms with why I might actually be more suited as a Hufflepuff, and that all these Sorting Hats were actually right. That said, I do still think I have many Ravenclaw qualities, and am satisfied to continue proudly wearing Ravenclaw colors XD




Skirt: Innocent World
Blouse: from Taiwan
Hairbow: Metamorphose Temps de Fille
Socks: Innocent World
Shoes: Secret Shop


So there we go! Three stories that intrigue and inspire me for very different reasons, and three outfits to match. And now I have three more costume ideas that already exist in my closet, that's three years' worth of not worrying about Halloween, right? ^~^

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Make sure to check out all the other blogs in the carnival who participated in this topic!

~ Elegant Poupée | A Little Bit of This... a Little Bit of That Too | Sweet Indeed | New Vogue Children | Lolita Cor-de-Rosa | F Yeah Lolita | Under the Parasol | Daily Fuckery | Snow Rose | Alice in Lolitaland | Spider Sugar | The Bloody Tea Party | Doll Life ~

2 comments:

  1. Especially love your Harry Potter inspired coord :) Do you have a link to the Innocent World skirt? I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! ^_^ I got it in a luckypack of some sort, so I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's this one: http://lolibrary.org/apparel/pintuck-ribbon-skirt

    ReplyDelete