Friday, June 22, 2012

[Lolita Challenge] Day 6 – 10 things you can’t live without in Lolita

Wow... I'm generally not terribly high maintenance, so I don't even know if I really have 10 items, but I guess I'll include things that I enjoy living with if I have them XD

1. A good petticoat (collection) - Since the silhouette is such a key part of any Lolita outfit, having a good petticoat is a definite must. I actually have a collection of petticoats of various shapes, lengths, and fluff-factors allowing me to accomodate casual to full-on, as well as different skirt cuts.

2. False eyelashes - This is a key part of my Lolita makeup routine, since my own eyelashes are sparse, pale, and uncurlably straight as sticks. I skip falsies of some sort only for the most casual of meetups, or if I'll be doing something where I anticipate getting things in my eyes and needing to rub them a lot.

3. Cutsews - I love my Lolita blouses, but I find cutsews really much for versatile in terms of creating my own more wearable style, since I like to wear Lolita on an almost-daily basis. I also find them more breathable and comfortable than blouses for hot summer days, since they are lower cut and don't have collars. Cutsews are also just more affordable for me, so I can get them in a variety of colors for easy coordination.

5. Garters - Most brand OTKs stay up reasonably well on me, but I also have a bunch of socks from places like Sockdreams in just solid cotton for daily wear. However, these don't stay up so well, so garters are indispensable!

6. Parasol - I burn at the drop of a hat, so a parasol is necessary, especially in the summer. Plus, I've found it can be as much as 5 degrees cooler under a parasol, so they're really nice for outdoor meetups.

7. Two-way brooch/clips - I love these because I can wear them in my hair, on my shirt, on my purse, pretty much anywhere. I hate the satin ribbons that came with my Bodyline boleros, so I just cut them off and fasten the boleros with an easy brooch. The dual backing is an awesome invention; more versatility!

8. Flat iron - I generally prefer to use my own hair rather than wear wigs, just because I tend to get terrible wig headaches if I wear them for too long, and I just overheat way too easily. I love my flat iron because I can use it to straighten hair AND to create curls. I like looser/larger curls, which I don't have the right curling iron for, but my flat iron does them beautifully. Also great for giving my bangs just the slightest curve/swoop so they don't look so flat ^_^

9. Boleros/Cardigans - These are just great for layering, or for creating modesty with JSKs that I don't like to wear a blouse/cutsew under (because of conflicting necklines, etc). I also like a light cardigan in the summer because they're thin enough material to not overheat me, but they also help me keep from getting sunburnt.

10. Shirring - The hidden zippers used in a lot of Lolita dresses are the most frustrating things ever. They tend to get caught at the waist, and apparently are prone to breaking (though I have yet to experience this myself). However, with even just partial shirring, I can usually worm my way into the dress without undoing the zipper, or at least just undoing it a little bit (not past the point where it tends to stick). I also think partial shirring is nice because it allows the dress to fit more snugly on a variety of sizes and shapes, so that it's flattering on more people than if the dress was one fixed size.

No comments:

Post a Comment