Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Velveteen Rabbit

Inspired by nothing in particular, I've succumbed to a sudden desire to make the decor in my room more coherent to a particular aesthetic. For the longest time, my room's been vaguely girly with random splashes of J-idol and anime fandom posters. At least all my furniture is mostly white or neutral wood, but that's about it. I've decided to take it in a more coherently romantic girly direction (which means taking all my posters and putting them away in a different place, not that there's enough wall space for even half of them anyways). Maybe if I ever get to a larger room, I can put them all up on a dedicated fandom wall ^_^

The first bit of my renovation was addressing my wall clock that I've had for the past four years. I bought it because the shape was nice, and the color scheme, but I'm honestly not a particular fan of Marilyn Monroe. So I figured, why not redo the clock face myself?!



I've always loved The Velveteen Rabbit, it's one of my favorite childhood stories and definitely speaks to my heart. I figured it would be perfect to have as a clock face - I had a lovely mental image of the rabbit slouched in an arc just right for the edge of a round clock. Plus, the color scheme would fit right in with the aesthetic theme ^_^ And with that, I just started sketching



Once I got the position and shapes about right, I went ahead and inked the main outlines of the rabbit and the star. I also inked in the shapes marking the main hour positions.



Next was coloring the design! This was a great excuse to finally bust out my Prismacolor Art Stix, which I've had for quite awhile, but never actually used until now. Well, I was missing out, because they're quite amazing. The rectangular prism shape is really interesting, because you can use the wide edges for filling, and the corner points for details. The texture is also really nice, the colored areas feel kind of glossy, but not waxy like if I had used crayons. Blending is really nice, and as a last step, I buffed all the colored areas with a Kleenex, which softened all the colors together and gave it a nice finish.



I then colored in the hearts and the dots marking the seconds using Sharpie. The numbers are silver stickers. I went with just the four cardinal ones because putting on more numbers would end up covering up quite a lot of the design :( I had to cut a slit to get it into the clock (I couldn't actually pull out the hands), and didn't notice how badly it showed in the finished photo - unfortunate lighting. It's not actually very visible at all once the clock's back on the wall.



And there we go, all done!! I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, considering I drew it freehand, and it was my first time coloring with the Art Stix!

2 comments: