Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Paris: Catacombes + Cimetière du Montparnasse

Day 2 of my trip started with a quick stop at the neighborhood bakery, where I picked a delicious pain au chocolat.  Somehow it was just more delicious than any chocolate croissant I've ever had in the US... maybe simply because it was nice and fresh.  Who knows, but it was delightful!

And then, I went to the catacombs...  I waited in line, in the burning sun, for almost an hour before I finally got in.  The tour is entirely self-guided, and goes through both a quarry section and a catacomb section.  There were a lot of pretty things in the quarry section, which I didn't quite expect.  For example, this lovely model:

We also walked past several wells, of which this one was the best lit and the prettiest.  My camera was not so good at taking photos in dark places without flash, so things in lighted areas were pretty much the only things that came out.

As we went from the quarries to the catacombs, we were greeted by this lovely entrance message:

The catacombs... they're so cool!  So many bones and skulls all piled together, complete with random concret slabs with morbid inscriptions on them.  Also, just generally dark and wet (there was water dripping from the ceiling).


There were also several interesting crypts and other structures, including this Sepuchral Lamp.

And as if I hadn't gotten enough of death, I stopped by the Montparnasse Cemetery after a quick lunch break.  The cemetery was very pretty, but pretty unremarkable - I mean, it's just like many other cemeteries.  There were some pretty crypts, but I felt sort of weird walking around being too obvious about taking photos.  I stuck to photographing really old graves, or more "famous" graves.  Including that of Alexander Alekhine, world chess champion!!

Next stop: Eiffel Tower!!

No comments:

Post a Comment