Wednesday, March 2, 2011

[Outfit Post] Lolita at School

One of the things I'd really like to write an entire entry about one day is that of balancing my fashion taste with what's considered appropriate for my everyday lifestyle.  Being a graduate student in a social science, I have more leeway with what I can wear on a daily basis (no restrictions from lab activities, etc), but at the same time, I have to be careful when attending conferences and other events outside of my home university.  It would be unfortunate to become "that girl who wore the crazy costume at the LSA".

At the beginning of my Lolita journey, I was very much straddling the sweet/classic divide, and felt magnetically attracted to all the OTT sweet things.  To the point where I even attempted a bit of a dabbling (for example, I have the Bodyline carousel skirt in pink, and a variety of fluffy Chocomint bows of all sizes).  However, I've more recently started being more honest with myself, and realized that while I looooove looking at OTT sweet (and I mean looooooooooove), I never really feel comfortable actually wearing anything that flashy, and it's really a more muted type of sweet, bordering on classic, that really makes my heart throb, and makes me feel most at home.  And luckily, this direction also fits in better with trying to not look toooo crazy to the academic world.

Long-winded stream-of-consciousness is long-winded.  The point is, I decided I wanted to dress up a little for a presentation today, because hey, dressing up makes me feel better, even if every other aspect of my day is a failure.  So I put together a very simple coord that is comfy (yay cutsew), but still pretty.  I've been finding that my headbands, lovely as they are, all give me a splitting headache, so until I have time to remove the decorations and turn them into clips/demi-headbands, I've just been mostly foregoing head decoration.  Which makes me sad, but hey, spring break is soon, so I can revamp all my hairthings then!

As for my outfit... le voila!


Skirt: Bodyline
Cutsew: Innocent World
Shoes: Secret Shop

Now I just have to survive the rest of this quarter before I get a short break!! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment