Friday, November 27, 2009

Winter Knitting 09/10 - Scarf Frenzy!

Given the fantastically frightful winds here in Chicago, I've been on a scarf hunt lately. But I figured, rather than buying simple scarves that I could make myself, why not go ahead and make them? So here's four scarves, two of which are for myself, and two of which are for my lovely Lolita mentor.

I've been trying to incorporate more pastels into my winter wardrobe, so I made two long ruffly scarves for myself in pink and baby blue:



Of course the two scarves for my Loli mentor are going to be presents, so I won't post them here until after she's gotten them ^.^

All of the scarves were made with one skein of Red Heart Baby Clouds yarn. The pink skein was 2 ounces larger than the blue skein, so the scarf came out super long, but I love it!

Hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. What is the weight of the yarn that you use? I've been using worsted weight 4 yarn, but it always seems to end up too thick and stiff =( not to mention I haven't been able to find a good place to get yarn from besides the Michael's in Somerville... which is way too far away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Miri! Haha sorry, apparently WP fails at emailing me when I get comments :-P . I actually made these using Red Heart’s “Baby Clouds” yarn, which is an acrylic yarn meant for making baby afghans or something. It’s knitted on size 13 needles even though they recommend size 15, although I kind of like how it came more dense since it’s supposed to be warm and all.

    Worsted weight yarn is the standard for scarf knitting, so maybe you just knit really tight or something? You could try to knit looser, or just use larger needles than the recommended size, and it should turn out less stiff :-P

    Pearl Arts sells yarn too. They seem to have a strange restocking cycle, but if you happen to catch them right after they restock, their selection is actually pretty decent. There’s a cute little yarn store in Harvard Square (in the area underneath the building that Staples is in) that sells more specialty type yarns too. <3

    ReplyDelete